Hello Self Care Sunday!
Whoever came up with the term ‘Self Care Sunday’ I want to personally thank you.
Sundays are already a day we take to wind down, enjoy time with family and get a little rest and relaxation, so allocating Sundays to self care makes so much sense!
You most likely ended up on this post because you desperately need to add self care to your routine or you’re looking for new ways to practice self care.
If you aren’t getting enough self care in your life make sure to read the next two sections before checking out your self care Sunday ideas.
This will help you remember why you sometimes need to take care of yourself first.
Why is Self Care Important?
It’s called balance! We all want it, need it and honestly, aren’t getting enough of it. This is where self care comes in.
Here are a Few Ways Self Care Can Help You:
- Better work-life balance
- Having a healthy lifestyle
- Reducing stress
- Improve physical and mental health
- Create an intentional life
Self care is even more important for people who are giving to others most of the time.
Without self care we begin to burn out, become stressed and can go on an emotional rollercoaster.
Self care is essential in creating the life we want and love.Need more self care? Dedicate this Sunday to a new Self Care routine - 47 ideas to take care of yourself first #selfcare #selflove Click To Tweet
How to Create Your Own Self Care Sunday Routine
Making sure you dedicate the time for self care is about commitment. Ensuring you follow through on your commitment is mandatory!
The easy part here is we are already dedicating Sunday for self care. How and when you follow through on self care is up to you.
If you’re lucky you can dedicate a whole day to self care, but here are a few more realistic ways you can allocate time for self care:
- Quick self care activity (15 minutes or less)
- Take a mini self care break (30 minutes to an hour)
- Allocate a chunk of the morning to self care (2 – 3 hours)
- Full morning or afternoon of self care (3 – 5 hours)
- Select the period of time you can commit to from the choices above
- Block out your calendar for this Sunday and try some of these ideas below…
*Also, find time to practice self care every day of the week with these gorgeous printable self care worksheets (includes 75 new ideas)!
47 Self Care Sunday Ideas For You To Try
As mentioned above there are a handful of different ways you can allocate time to self care.
The following self care Sunday ideas are broken down for the above time segments to help you create your perfect self care routine.
This post contains affiliate links. Disclosure info here.
Quick Self Care Activities (15 minutes or less)
- Make a cup of your favourite tea
- Go for a stroll around the block and practice mindful walking
- Diffuse relaxing essential oils
- Make yourself a healthy smoothie
- Read a chapter of a book or a short story
- Pull out a colouring book for adults
- Write in a gratitude journal
- Lie down and cuddle (your pet, your pillow, your blanket)
- Meditate – try the Calm app if you’re new to meditation
- Listen to some feel good music and have a dance session in your kitchen
- Use a foot massager – this is the one I use that I am obsessed with
- Write a love letter to yourself and mail it. I really mean this 🙂 When the letter arrives you will have forgotten what you wrote and love how it makes you feel!
Take a Mini Self Care Break (30 minutes to an hour)
- Have a bath with all the goodies – candles, essential oils, relaxing music
- Take a nap with the coziest blanket you own
- Get a manicure
- Take your dog for a walk
- Bake something you love – these muffins are my fave
- Go for a walk in the park
- Look at old photos
- Get a professional massage
- Listen to a podcast that inspires you – I highly recommend I’m Busy Being Awesome with Paula Engebretson
- Go for a run or workout
- Listen to a chapter of an audiobook – I’m currently listening to Atomic Habits by James Clear
- Make a yummy comfort dish and enjoy
- Call an old friend
- Write a life bucket list
Allocate Most of the Morning to Self Care (2 – 3 hours)
- Brunch with a friend
- Go on a hike
- Create your own spa retreat (shower with essential oils, face mask, do your nails, relax with green tea, have a nap)
- Go to the movies – and even better see something that YOU love (not what others want)
- Go on a date with yourself
- If you’re a music lover create a nostalgic Spotify playlist or two
- Take a Sunday class (something you’ve always wanted to do, but never made time for) – Indian cooking, belly dancing, calligraphy, painting, yoga – the list goes on!
- Go fruit picking (whatever is in season)
- Do a little Netflix binge
- Work on a meaningful project – photo album, scrapbook, writing
Full Morning or Afternoon of Self Care (3 – 5 hours)
- Visit a farmers market and treat yourself to some new foods
- Get a spa treatment followed by a healthy lunch
- Go on a picnic
- Relax at the beach – this is even one of my favourites when the weather is colder
- Have friends over for brunch – do a potluck to make it easy
- Go to an art gallery or museum
- Attend a book club with friends – if you’re not part of a book club, start one!
- Be a tourist in your own city
- Spend the day with family creating memories
- Meal prep your favourite dishes for the week ahead – listen to some great music or an audiobook while cooking
- Veg out – yep, just turn your mind off and chill
My Ideal Self Care Sunday Routine
The perfect self care Sunday for myself is to make sure I get some quality time outside – ideally in the countryside if possible.
I grew up in a tiny village surrounded by countryside and my Sundays as a kid consisted of horseback riding, church and playing outside with friends – followed by the best family dinners in the evening.
When I was in my twenties I lived in England and spent Sundays going on long hikes through the English countryside.
After being back in Canada and living in the city for the past 15+ years all I want on a Sunday is some good quality outside time and I’ll take it any way I can find it…
Farmers markets, dog park, gardening, long walks. Add some tea drinking and family time and I am a happy girl!
I want to know from you…
What Does Your Perfect Self Care Sunday Look Like?!
Tell me all about what you do to practice self care, or what you’d like to try from the above list.
Share in the comments below…
Related Self Care Articles:
- Morning Self Care Activities To Start Your Day
- Essential Oils and Your Daily Self Care Habits
- Self Care Checklist for the Holidays
- No Time for Self Care? Try These Tips
- 25 Self Love Affirmations + Free Worksheet
For more inspiration and to get the latest post from Put The Kettle On, let’s connect!