Sundays… the perfect day to look after yourself, giving yourself enough time to relax and rejuvenate before another week begins.
This is where the popular practice and term ‘self-care Sunday’ comes in.
To embrace this perfect day I have some beautiful self-care Sunday quotes to give you the motivation to find your inner peace this Sunday.
Before I share these inspirational quotes, here’s a little more on ‘Self-Care Sunday’…
What is Self Care Sunday?
Self-care Sunday has become a popular phrase in recent years, which gives us permission to take a much-needed break.
For many, Sundays have always been a day of the week to get a little relaxation so why also make this an official day for self-care?!
Whether you use the whole day for your self-care practice or a small portion, the goal is to make sure you do a little something that makes you feel good this Sunday.
What Do You Do for Self-Care Sunday?
I’m glad you asked!
Well, self-care Sunday is down to doing what feeds your mind, body and soul. There are actually are 5 different types of self-care needed for a balanced life.
So, you can do things like:
- Drink a cozy cup of tea
- Write in a journal
- Take a long walk
- Do something you love
- Have coffee with a friend
- Do an at home spa day
- Meal prep for the week ahead
To dedicate a Sunday for self-care I encourage you to check out my post: 47 of the Best Self Care Sunday Ideas for lots of ideas, based on how much time you have. There are things you can do whether you dedicate Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon or all day.
You can also check out my self-care planner printable worksheets that include 75 self-care activities you can use – for each category mentioned above.
70 Self Care Sunday Quotes To Inspire You Today
We’re starting off with one of my all-time favourite quotes which focuses on self-love and self-care…
1. “Love yourself first, and everything else falls in line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” — Lucille Ball
2. “Self-love, my liege, is not so vile a sin, as self-neglecting.” — William Shakespeare
3. “Women, in particular, need to keep an eye on their physical and mental health, because if we’re scurrying to and from appointments and errands, we don’t have a lot of time to take care of ourselves. We need to do a better job of putting ourselves higher on our own ‘to do’ list.” — Michelle Obama
4. “The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
5 .“As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” — Maya Angelou
6. “An empty lantern provides no light. Self-care is the fuel that allows your light to shine brightly.” — Unknown
7. “I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self-indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival.” — Audre Lorde
8. “Everyone of us needs to show how much we care for each other and, in the process, care for ourselves.” — Princess Diana
9. “When you take care of yourself, you’re a better person for others. When you feel good about yourself, you treat others better.” — Solange Knowles
11. “Meditation is the ultimate mobile device; you can use it anywhere, anytime, unobtrusively.” — Sharon Salzberg
12. “The feeling of being valuable is a cornerstone of self-discipline because when you consider yourself valuable you will take care of yourself – including things like using your time well. In this way, self-discipline is self-caring.” — M. Scott Peck
13. “The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
14. “To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” — Oscar Wilde
15. “When you give yourself permission to communicate what matters to you in every situation you will have peace despite rejection or disapproval. Putting a voice to your soul helps you to let go of the negative energy of fear and regret.” — Shannon L. Alder
16. “Self-care is giving the world the best of you, instead of what’s left of you.” — Katie Reed
Dedicate The Time You Need for Self Care This Sunday
A little reminder that to find time for self-care means you need to make the time.
Block out your calendar, tell your family you aren’t available, or leave the house!
Whatever you need to do to make time for the act of looking after yourself – do it.
It is so important to take time for yourself and find clarity. The most important relationship is the one you have with yourself. — Diane Von Furstenberg
19. “You’re off to great places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way!” — Dr. Seuss
20. “When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” — Jean Shinoda Bolen
21. “Do something nice for yourself today. Find some quiet, sit in stillness, breathe. Put your problems on pause. You deserve a break.” — Akiroq Brost
22. “I had repeatedly accepted inappropriate burdens, stepping in to do what needed to be done. In retrospect, I think I carried them well, but the cost was that I was chronically overloaded, weary, and short of time for politicking, smoothing ruffled feathers, and simply resting.” — Mary Catherine Bateson
23. “You always have to remember to take care of yourself first and foremost, because when you stop taking care of yourself you get out of balance and you really forget how to take care of others.” – Jada Pinkett Smith
24. “Don’t get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.” — Dolly Parton
25. “Do you love life? Then do not squander time, for that’s the stuff life is made of.” — Benjamin franklin
26. “It’s okay to take time for yourself. We give so much of ourselves to others and we need to be fueled both physically and mentally. If we are in balance, it helps us in all our interactions.” — Faith Hill
27. “Any woman can look her best if she feels good in her skin. It’s not a question of clothes or makeup. It’s how she sparkles.” — Sophia Loren
28. “How you love yourself is how you teach others to love you.” — Rupi Kaur
29. “If you get tired, learn to rest, not to quit.” — Banksy
30. “Rest and self-care are so important. When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.” — Eleanor Brown
Sunday Self Care Quotes Reminding You to Rest
Resting on a Sunday gives you the energy needed to start another busy week.
Here are some inspirational quotes to motivate you to wind down.
31. “If you feel “burnout” setting in, if you feel demoralized and exhausted, it is best, for the sake of everyone, to withdraw and restore yourself.” — Dalai lama
32. “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” — Oprah Winfrey
33. “Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.” — Anne Lamott
34. “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” — Buddha
35. “Don’t take your health for granted. Don’t take your body for granted. Do something today that communicates to your body that you desire to care for it.” — Jada Pinkett Smith
36. “Carve out and claim the time to care for yourself and kindle your own fire.” — Amy Ippoliti
37. “Self-care means giving yourself permission to pause.” — Cecilia Tran
38. “When you can’t find your purpose in a day, make it to look after yourself.” ― Dodie Clark
39. “As important as it is to have a plan for doing work, it is perhaps more important to have a plan for rest, relaxation, self-care, and sleep.” ― Akiroq Brost
40. “Closing your eyes and listening to silence is self-care.” ―Maxime Lagacé
41. “The mind has two abilities – one is to focus, the other is to expand and relax.” — Gurudev Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
42. “Self-care is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation.” — Audre Lorde
Quotes for the Best Self Care Sunday Ever
43. “Wake up this Sunday and talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.” — Brené Brown
44. “Sunday is the day to give yourself all the love and care you didn’t on the weekdays.” – Unknown
46. “Sunday was always the best of days for being the self you had intended to be, but were not, for one reason or another. ” — Jesse Ball
47. “If you have the ability to love, love yourself first.” — Charles Bukowski
48. “Taking care of myself doesn’t mean “me first.” It means “me, too.” — L.R. Knost
49. “I always give myself Sundays as a spiritual base of renewal—a day when I do absolutely nothing. I sit in my jammies or take a walk, and I allow myself time to BE—capital B-E—with myself.” ― Oprah Winfrey
50. “Sunday clears away the rust of the whole week.” — Joseph Addison
51. “A Sunday well spent brings a week of content.” — Unknown
52. “Do not let Sunday be taken from you. If your soul has no Sunday, it becomes an orphan.” — Albert Schweitzer
More Powerful Self Care Quotes To Motivate You
53. “Honestly, self-care is not fluffy. It’s something we should take seriously.” — Kris Carr
54. “Self-care is the non-negotiable. That’s the thing that you have to do. And beauty is the thing that can be the benefit of the self-care. Beauty is not the point. Beauty is just a cute side-effect from self-care.” — Jonathan Van Ness
55. “One person’s self-care isn’t necessarily another’s—there is going to be a lot of individuality.” — Gail Saltz, M.D.
56. “With every act of self-care your authentic self gets stronger, and the critical, fearful mind gets weaker. Every act of self-care is a powerful declaration: I am on my side, I am on my side, each day I am more and more on my own side.” — Susan Weiss Berry
57. “There is enough time for self-care. There is not enough time to make up for the life you’ll miss by not filling yourself up.” — Jennifer Williamson
58. “Self-care means considering yourself a worthwhile person and presenting yourself as valuable, capable, and deserving. In other words, self-care seeks to redress an imbalance that develops when you don’t take proper care of yourself, whether by inattention or by choice.” ― Arin Murphy-Hiscock
60. “Just one small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day.” ― Dalai Lama
61. “You don’t have to set yourself on fire to keep others warm.” ― Penny Reid
62. “If it costs you your peace, it’s too expensive.” ― Unknown
63. “Relationship status: committed to growth, self-love, and inner peace.” ― Unknown
64. “Self-care is how you take your power back.” — Lalah Delia
65. “I challenge you to make your life a masterpiece. I challenge you to join the ranks of those people who live what they teach, who walk their talk.” — Tony Robbins
66. “Self-care is never a selfish act — it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer to others.” — Parker Palmer
67. “Be patient with yourself. Self-growth is tender; it’s holy ground. There’s no greater investment.” — Stephen Covey
68. “Self care is not a waste of time. Self care makes your use of time more sustainable.” ―Jackie Viramontez
69. “Self-care equals success. You’re going to be more successful if you take care of yourself and you’re healthy.” — Beth Behrs
70. “The time to relax is when you don’t have time for it.” — Sydney J. Harris
When It Comes to Self Care, Remember this…
Self-care is not a selfish act. Plain and simple. Instead, self-care is a way to look after your true self.
I hope these powerful Sunday self-care quotes are a little reminder that…
- You deserve rest and rejuvenation
- You can’t pour from an empty cup
- Looking after yourself is a must if you want/need to look after others
- Self-care Sunday is a time you can do what you need most
- Sometimes self-care is what you need to get through a difficult time
How to use these Inspiring Self Care Quotes
Apart from reading these quotes, there are a few ways you can use them to give you motivation every Sunday! Here are some examples:
- Save this post to your self-care Pinterest board (you can also follow me for more ideas)
- Use these self-care Sunday quotes for Instagram captions to inspire others
- Write down your favourite quotes in your journal or planner
- Sketch a quote into your bullet journal
- Send a text to a friend with some inspiring words they may need to hear
More Resources to Create The Best Self-Care Sunday:
- Printable Self Care Plan Worksheets
- 5 Types of Self Care for a Balanced Life
- 30 Self Care Journal Prompts to Improve Your Mental Health
- Morning Self Care Routine – New Ideas to Start Your Day
What’s Your Favourite Self Care Sunday Quote?
Share in the comments below!
For more inspiration and to get the latest post, let’s connect on social media!
Website Owner / Content Creator
I’m passionate about helping you live life to the fullest so you can choose to find happiness and purpose. Learn how to CREATE THE LIFE YOU LOVE with intentional living and discovery of the simple things life has to offer. Learn more…