I am a huge fan of apple crisp. Probably because it’s easier to make than pie (and healthier), but it’s also such a delicious comfort food that is perfect for dessert or even a sneaky breakfast in the morning (okay I know I shouldn’t but it really is pretty healthy – especially with Greek yogurt on top)!
Apple crisp is a dessert you can whip up without much thought and in my home it’s one of our family favourites. This apple crisp recipe has been tested with MANY variations – this time with cranberries. If you don’t have cranberries another great replacement is blackberries and of course all apples is completely delicious too.
Made with whole grain oats, fresh crisp apples and cranberries this dessert is definitely on the healthier side of treats and can also be made even healthier with a few adjustments.
CRANBERRY APPLE CRISP
TEMP: 375 degrees F. PREP TIME: 15 minutes. COOKING TIME: 45 mins. MAKES: 6-8 servings.
- 6 1/2 cups apples, spliced and peeled (granny smith, macintosh or any tart apple works best)
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour (whole wheat for healthier option)
- 2/3 large flake/rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup melted butter
Gluten-Free Variation – Use ground almonds instead of flour and ensure rolled oats are gluten free, like Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Oats.
- In an 8 inch square baking dish combine apples, cranberries, sugar and juices. Level the top.
- In a bowl toss together flour, oats, sugar and cinnamon. Drizzle with melted butter and combine until you have a crumbly texture.
- Sprinkle topping over apple and cranberry mixture, ensuring all fruit is covered.
- Put in a 375 degree F oven (190 degrees C) for 45 minutes or until topping is crisp and filling is bubbling. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Add vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or Greek yogurt for a healthier alternative. Sprinkle a little extra cinnamon on top.
NOTE: If using all apples, you’ll need 8 cups of apples. For a blackberry or pear version you can use 2 cups of blackberries or pears and 6 cups of apples.
This is a simple recipe and doesn’t have to be followed exactly (for the fruit filling), so try different combinations of your favourite apples and berries.
Hope you enjoy this recipe like I do 🙂
GET THE LATEST ON SOCIAL MEDIA. FOLLOW HERE:
PIN TO MAKE LATER: