As humans, we strive to be happy all the time, whether that be appreciating what you have in your life today or planning happy moments for the future. August is set aside to really focus on what makes you happy, so that you can celebrate it.
Daysoftheyear.com describes Happiness Happens Month as…
“The month reminds us that happiness happens one small moment at a time and it’s our job to recognize those moments when they happen. It reminds us that sometimes a small action boosts our happiness. It reminds us that happiness is a personal experience and it’s also contagious!”
To kick off some happy thinking, here is a thought provoking TED talk from Robert Waldinger – a professor at Harvard Medical School and is known for his findings from the Grant Study, a 75-year-long study on adult happiness.
WHAT MAKES A GOOD LIFE? LESSONS FROM THE LONGEST STUDY ON HAPPINESS.
Key learnings from this study (quoted):
- Good relationships keep us happier and healthier: Social connections are good for us. Those who are more socially connected are happier, physically healthier and live longer.
- Quality not quantity: It’s not the number of friends you have or whether you’re in a committed relationship, but it’s the quality of your close relationships. Living in conflict is really bad for our health and the people who were most satisfied in their relationships at age 50 where the healthiest at age 80.
- Leaning in to relationships is good for you.
Watch the video above for a lot more insight.
To help celebrate Happiness Happens month here are 20 WAYS TO FIND YOUR HAPPINESS, one small moment at a time.
1. Go on a date with your best friend
2. Take a long walk to a new place
3. Listen to your favourite song
4. Visit your neighbour
5. Pick flowers
6. Have a bath
7. Cook with someone you love
8. Relax and drink tea
9. Talk to someone you don’t know
10. Stretch for 5 minutes
11. Plant some flowers
12. Make a healthy smoothie
13. Read poetry
14. Help someone in need
15. Meditate or pray
16. Dance to an amazing song
18. Write a postcard and mail it
19. Sign up to a local program
20. Tell someone you love them
What will you do to focus on your happiness this month and this year? What small moments in your life make you happy? How can you think differently about the little things to appreciate them in a new light?
Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
*Affiliate link. Disclosure info here.