My goal this summer is to get some new weeknight meals mastered while our family schedule is a little more flexible. That way, once September is back I’ll have some new family friendly meals tested and ready to go.
A few days ago I made a simple marinara sauce from Giada’s Everyday Italian Cookbook. Recipe here. What I like about this sauce is you can hide some carrots and celery in there chopping very finely and no one would ever know.
Since I had a lot of sauce left over and had just picked up a load of sweet peppers I decided to make Turkey and Marinara Stuffed Peppers, with a spinach salad on the side.
This recipe is ridiculously easy and takes under 15 minutes to prepare.
Turkey and Marinara Stuffed Peppers
- 2 cups marinara sauce – recipe here (or use a good quality jar if you’re in a hurry)
- 1 pound (450 grams) of ground turkey
- 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 Tsp oregano
- 1 Tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
Note: If using jarred sauce fry 1/2 onion and 1 clove garlic to add to the sauce to add more flavour and texture.
- Sweet peppers, bell or long. Any colour works. Cut in half long ways and remove seeds.
- Olive Oil
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup grated old cheddar or feta cheese. Crumbled goat cheese would also be nice.
- A dollop of sour cream
1. Set oven to 400 degrees F (205 C)
2. Once oven is at temperature place halved peppers in casserole dish. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper. Put in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes.
3. If using jarred sauce fry the garlic and onion on medium (skip this step if you have homemade sauce)
4. Add ground turkey to a pan on medium-high
5. Add salt, pepper, oregano and paprika and chilli flakes if you like a bit of heat
6. Fry until just cooked
7. Add the marinara sauce and simmer for 5 minutes
8. Add green peas and cook an additional 2 minutes
9. Remove peppers from oven. Add stuffing to peppers and sprinkle cheese on top.
10. Put in the oven for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese
11. Add a little sour cream on top and serve with a side salad.
You may also like:
Hope you enjoy!
RECIPE INSPIRED BY GIADA DE LAURENTIIS…
If you liked this recipe please share!Stuck on what to make for dinner tonight? Try these 'Weeknight Turkey & Marinara Stuffed Peppers' #30minutemeals #Easyrecipes Click To Tweet